THE DRAMA OLYMPICS
A fun competition for young actors and speakers
What is it?
The Drama Olympics is a fun competition for talented actors and speakers ages 7-19. Young performers will have the opportunity to perform either individually (monologues/speeches) or in a group (short plays/scenes) and compete for awards in various categories.
When is it?
The Drama Olympics event will take place at 5.30pm on Saturday 29 September at the Courtyard, Canberra Theatre Centre. A technical rehearsal will take place from 3-5pm on the same day.
What are the categories?
The awards are divided into age categories: 7-10, 11-14 and 15-19. Within each category, there will be an Individual Award and Group Award. Entrants may enter any of the following:
- MONOLOGUE (performance of established monologue in any genre)
- ORIGINAL MONOLOGUE (monologue written by the performer – any genre)
- PERSUASIVE SPEECH (written by the performer on a topic or issue that interests them)
- SHORT PLAY/SCENE/SKETCH (established piece from theatre/TV)
- ORIGINAL SHORT PLAY/SCENE/SKETCH (written/devised by the group or a performer in the group)
What are the time limits?
- Ages 6-10: 1-2 minutes (monologue/speech) or 2-5 minutes (scene/sketch/play)
- Ages 11-14: 1-3 minutes (monologue/speech) or 3-6 minutes (scene/sketch/play)
- Ages 15-19: 2-5 minutes (monologue/speech) or 4-10 minutes (scene/sketch/play)
Note: the focus is on quality, not quantity; performers who go over time will lose points.
Who will judge?
We will invite several guest judges who are experienced actors/public speakers/directors. Performances will be scored holistically out of 10 based on:
- Acting / speaking skills including control of voice, expression, gesture, etc.
- Creativity (for monologue/play) or persuasiveness (for speech)
- Audience engagement (is the audience engaged/enthralled/entertained?)
- Presentation including appropriate costume / smart speaking outfit
- The X factor: confidence and charisma
We are focused on the performance so please keep any props or set pieces to a minimum.
How do I enter? What is the deadline?
Performers have two options:
- Audition by midnight August 15 (free) by completing the form below and adding a link to an audition video OR if performing as a group and it is not possible to film the play/scene, complete the form below as usual but also email the script to email@example.com by August 15.
- Attend a public speaking workshop ($45) on August 18 for coaching and direct entry.
Option 1: AUDITION (free) If you have a monologue/play/speech prepared, please complete the form below to register to audition.
Option 2: PUBLIC SPEAKING WORKSHOP ($45) on Saturday 15 August.
- Option to enrol and focus on speech, monologue or other performance type